From Glasgow (Scotland), Daniel Mullen studied art at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam. As a child he was fascinated by constructed space. His studies reignited this passion for architecture that now forms the basis of his representational paintings.
1. What would you say is the most important theme in your work?
Balance Rhythm and weightlessness
2. What’s most inspiring to your working process?
Good music, and the feeling I have when playing chess
3. Have you any strange talents that influence the work you produce or the way you produce it?
In my mind I can flip objects and surfaces around and view them from different angles in my mind as one would do with CAD for example. Dunno if it’s a talent but its useful as all my work are constructed without and computer software assistance.
4. Which artist of the past would you resurrect to collaborate with and why?
None, I would much rather collaborate with and architect in about 20 years when contruction technologies have progress a bit further!
5. Do you think your work is understood or misinterpreted and why?
I think its impossible to mis-interpret the work, not because the work is crystal clear but because when the viewer Is in front of the painting for the time they are looking at it it is theirs, and in there mind they can do with it what they wish.
6. If you could decorate one place in the world what would it be and how would you do it?
I would build a modern version of the London crystal palace, with all the glass but not no visible metal structure.
7. What to date has been your ‘cherry on the cake’ moment and what was it that got you there?
I would say the last exhibition I had! it was at Cityscapes Gallery SPACE SHAPES & SPACE VOLUMES, it was bringing together minimalistic architectural fantasies from the nineteen sixties by Franck Gribling (Soerabaya, 1933) and recent spatial paintings by myself. “The selected works of Franck Gribling and Daniel Mullen span more then half a century but depict a common artistic research into the basics of architectural space”
What got me their, I guess my stubbornness!
8. What we ask everyone! Does your artistic style influence your underwear?
Hahaha maybe it would, if I spent the time to design them!
More info www.daniel-mullen.com | www.facebook.com/AtelierDanieMullen